WHAT IS A GAGA PIT?
We are often asked, what is a GaGaga pit. Two of our sites, Grantville Lodge and Merricks Lodge have GaGa pits and they are a popular activity that can be lead by our staff or teaching staff.
But what is the game about? The best way to describe GaGa Ball is that it’s a ‘safer and more exciting version of dodgeball’ that is fast-paced and a lot of fun. It’s played inside of a GaGa ball pit, which is an octagon-shaped or hexagonal-shaped area surrounded by a one metre high fence. At UC Camping our pits are lined with compacted sand, making it safe and easy to play on.
Like dodgeball, the object of the game is to knock out your opponents by hitting them with the ball. Unlike dodgeball, however, the ball can only be hit with open hands and is in almost constant motion. Players strike, jump, and run to avoid being hit and are eliminated only when struck on or below the knee.
What are the rules of gaga?
Fortunately the rules are simple. Basically, a group of people and a ball enter the pit. If the ball touches you below the knee, you’re out. The last one in the pit wins. Then, you can start another round. Games last between 3 – 5 minutes
It’s fast. It’s fun. You’ll get sweaty. Students find it really addictive and they’ll want to get back into the pit and start again.
UC Camping following these rules, although can change depending on the leader and the group:
- Nominate a referee.
- All players start with one hand touching a wall of the pit.
- The game begins with the referee throwing the ball into the centre of the pit.
- When the ball enters the pit, the players scream ‘GA’ for the first two bounces, and ‘GO’ on the third bounce, after which the ball is in action.
- Once the ball is in play, any player can hit the ball with an open or closed hand.
- If a ball touches a player below the knee (even if the player hits himself or herself) he or she is out and leaves the pit. If a player is hit above the knees, the play continues.
- What if a ball is caught on a fly? That player who hit the ball is out.
- Using the walls of the GaGa Pit to aid in jumping is legal as long as the player does not permanently sit on the ledge of the GaGa Pit.
- Players cannot hold the ball.
- Want to make it more interesting?, Toss in a second ball can be thrown in the pit to expedite the end of the game. When there is only one player left standing, they are the winner of that round.
For more information on GaGa Ball click here